Game: Saga Frontier Worn to: Youmacon 09, Fanime 10 Status: Active Costume Award: Judges Award, Youmacon 09 Difficulty: 5/5
I had White Rose on my perpetual to-do list for years. I found out that a group of people were making Saga Frontier costumes for Youmacon 09 and, although I was intimidated to attempt a costume that I had lusted over for so long, I jumped on board. When would I ever get to be part of a Saga Frontier group ever again?
I started off using a bridal pattern from Vogue. I had to alter the pattern quite a bit but it was my first time using boning in a bodice and I wanted to make sure I did it properly. I used a white poly blend for the lining and outer shell of the bodice and layered silk chiffon over the top. I dyed all of the silk chiffon with RIT dye, including the gradient on the skirt. The design on the bodice was made from a white cotton with a subtle, silver vine pattern and was embroidered along the edges with a metallic silver thread. The petals on the bodice were made from 5 different fabrics and were all individually finished and attached to the font of the bodice to give the petals some lift. The sleeves were done using the same fabric as the bodice, with elastic in both ends. The gloves and tights were hand dyed as well.
The boots started off as brown suede and I drew the patterns on with permanent marker. I painted the boots with fabric paint and fabric medium (to make the paint as flexible as possible) and replaced the old brown zippers with fresh white ones.
The cape is 3 layers of fabric - 1 white chiffon, 1 pink chiffon, and 1 pale yellow organza with tiny bows stitched throughout. I made the ruffles for the longest layer and cut the other two layers on opposite diagonals and used a lettuce hem to make them as flowy as possible to resemble the vague, wavy artwork. The top of the cape was made to look like flower petals and are made using wire and "pillow cases" made out of fabric and interfacing. There are 3 layers of petals, each layer is glued to a piece of plastic, wrapped in fabric. The cape attaches to the back of the bodice with 4 big snaps.
Most of the flowers for the wig and the skirt were picked up from dollar stores which was a financial LIFESAVER. I hand sewed every flower to the skirt and the wig, which started off as a Sweetness from Amphigory. There is a tulle petticoat under the skirt as well as a small hoopskirt.
This is definitely one of my most time-consuming and detailed costumes to date.